Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Secret Garden & other books

Yesterday, I went to a few op-shops to look for a mirror to go with my new dressing table. I did find a mirror, but I also found three new books. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne and The Princess Diaries #5 by Meg Cabot. Altogether they only cost me $9.50, so I was very happy. Buying these books at an actual book store would have cost me at least $30!



I began reading The Secret Garden right away. I was very excited because I have watched the movie hundreds of times - it was one of my favourites when I was young - but I'd never read the book before. I am only up to chapter 11 so far, but I love it already. The thought of a big old house and a secret garden and a sweet little bird who makes friends with humans really evokes the adventurous child within me - no matter how deep she is buried! I very much want to read A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and I have wanted to for a very long time, it's just that I've yet to find a copy. Quotes from that book are often found at the beginning of the Princess Diaries books (which are one of my favourite series also!)

I love how it is openly said that Mary is not beautiful at all - she is ugly! This is mainly because of her being sick from living in India, and not getting enough fresh air, as being in the garden and running about makes her healthier and look much better. But it's such a change from many books of today, where almost every main character is said to be in some way attractive, and if not, their beauty (or lack of it) is never commented on. Maybe I've just been reading the wrong books, but I feel like this is true! I will stop myself from going on about beauty standards of today, and maybe leave that for another time, though.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment